In 1829 the lot for Osgoode Hall was purchased and Toronto
was known as the Town of York. Fields and pastures surrounded
the six-acre parcel of land. The original structure was finalized
in 1832. The building was named after the first Chief Justice of
the province William Osgoode.
In 1846 Osgoode Hall housed the Superior Courts of Justice and
the Law Society of Upper Canada. In 1874 Osgoode Hall was
divided. The west wing wing including the main entrance became
home to the Government of Ontario. Osgoode Hall is co-owned
by the Government of Ontario and the Law Society. The Law
Society maintains the magnificent gardens and grounds.
Osgoode Hall has witnessed major additions and renovations.
The outcome is comparable to a succession of buildings with
mutual connectivity. Osgoode Hall is 187,000 square feet. The
six-floor building with twenty levels and winding corridors is
challenging to navigate.
The exterior of Osgoode Hall withstood a variety of change
but the front facade remains intact and closely resembles the
1860 design of the building. The dome above the Great Library
was eliminated. The additions to Osgoode Hall were constructed
by expanding northward.
The development of Osgoode Hall displays an ability to modify
yet honour historical highlights of the building. The Historical
Board and the Provincial Ministry for Heritage acknowledges
these endeavours by donating to the preservation costs.