Great emphasis is placed on the historical significance of
Osgoode Hall. The owners are cautious regarding restorations,
as the character of the building is never compromised. A great
attribute of Osgoode Hall is the diversity of the building.
Osgoode Hall accommodates the highest courts of the
province. The structure facilitates a staff of approximately
three hundred. There are classrooms, lecture halls, libraries,
retiring rooms, dining areas, conference and meeting rooms,
and hosts of other quarters all masterfully designed.
The only recognized legal education institution for the
province until 1957 was Osgoode Hall. The Osgoode Hall
Law School moved to York University in 1969.
Yesterday Convocation Hall was an examination room. Today
it is one of the focal points of Osgoode Hall. The ten
magnificent stained glass windows were added to stately
Convocation Hall in 1989. The windows portray numerous
stages of Canadian legal heritage. The beautiful stained
glass windows in Convocation Hall were donated by individuals
who partake in the practice of law in Ontario. Christopher
Wallis designed the windows. He has produced over eight-
hundred stained glass windows and is a member of The British
Society of Master Glass Painters. With a studio in Grand Bend,
Ontario, Mr. Wallis still creates stained glass windows.
The largest private collection of legal works is contained in
the Great Library located in Osgoode Hall. The library provides
readers and researchers the best reference source in Canada.
The walls in Osgoode Hall display over one hundred portraits
of past Chief Justices and Treasurers. The fabulous frames
house excellent works created by well-known artists. The
paintings, busts and sculptures create a dramatic backdrop
for this heritage building.